Monday, July 13, 2009

4th of July and Other Fun Times

So, mid-June Abby was in a play -- Pinocchio-- thru Missoula Childrens Theatre. She was a ballerina toy. She got to sing and do ballet moves on stage with a cast of about 50. She looked so tiny and cute up on that huge stage, dancing around the bad guy. She still sings the songs throughout her day, and the week following the play, she woke up crying. She was sad because she really wanted to go back to play practice. I think it was the best week of her life, and even today she mentioned that she can't wait for the next play in January. Here she is with her hair in a bun... on our way up to the play! I didn't get any pictures of her on stage in her costume because all of the paperwork we got from the theatre said not to bring cameras. So I obeyed. I am dumb sometimes. People were taking pictures left and right... and then cast pictures after. And I missed it ALL!
We have been going to a park at least once per week this summer. Will has discovered the joys of swings, as well as the pain they can cause... when you hang over the swing and let it soothe you nearly to sleep, you can fall onto the ground and scrape the nose...On July 3, we went to a park about 8pm to watch the City of Gendale fireworks show. There weren't to many people there when we first got there, so we got a pretty cool spot. While we waited the kids played in the sand and on slides, etc. As it got dark, we hurried and got seated. In time to realize during the first firework that we were facing southeast and the fireworks were being shot from northwest behind a line of beautiful trees!! Aaah! So we grabbed our chairs and ran across the park to a better spot. We enjoyed an amazing show.
I should insert right here that I am very proud to be a citizen of the United States of America. I am truly grateful for the men and women who have served and are currently serving our country in the military. I know that because of them, I am able to live in a safe country where I can go to any church I choose. My husband can legally own every gun we own. We can all speak our minds, even though the ones who speak the loudest totally do not appreciate that freedom! I am thankful for our Heavenly inspired laws of our land, and pray that we can keep them! In uncertain times, I truly appreciate this day to celebrate our independence... I know that people have lost their lives and give up a big chunk of their life to defend what we have. I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!!
The kids had an absolute blast pillow fighting while waiting for friends -n- fireworks on the fourth. Will is quite dramatic. Whenever he got near swingin' pillows, he would fall flat on his back and lay there for a few minutes, shouting "whoa! whoa! whoa!" It was hilarious. The girls really had a blast chasing each other around the yard, giggling all the while.We had some very good friends come over for dinner and "fireworks." Robbie bought the little kits that are legal in Colorado. They included some whistling low fireworks, smoke-bombs and sparklers! The kids truly enjoyed the sparklers!



There were upwards of 150 sparklers poked into the ground here the next morning.We brought out blankets and just hung out and snacked, talked, enjoyed the weather. Our neighbors also came over to visit when they heard our fireworks. That was fun! I wanted to get to know them better so it worked out nicely!

It was a loooooong day. As our friends were leaving, I put Will on the couch with a cartoon. I checked on him ten minutes later and this is how I found him. Fun Day!

4 comments:

The Easton Family said...

What a great time! We also bought the "legal" kit of fireworks, only to find out that ALL fireworks are illegal in Aurora. The fire marshall was writing $1000 tickets that night...whew! we were lucky not to get caught!

Mel said...

It sounds like Abby really enjoyed herself in the play. I am glad that you guys had a fun fourth of July. My blog is still private and I was thinking about changing it back, but I found out that my dad has a computer and internet at home so it will stay private. I have updated it several times and will do so again today.

sunnytosh said...

well get some pics at the next play, looks like you've all been busy as usual - I'm jealous!

Owlhaven said...

We love Missoula Children's THeater!!

Mary, mom to many